- Client was introducing a new product line.
- The challenge was to get information about the product to the North American sales force.
- As this was an engineered-to-order product, the sales force needed support with pricing and configuring the product.
- This was a new product line about which the sales force had little knowledge.
- Calculating pricing for any configuration of this product was very complicated.
- This product was very important to the company’s competitive edge in the North American market.
- Create a web-based configurator of this product line
- The tool that was developed permitted users to enter a few numbers (such as dimensions) and selected features. It then generated detailed bills of material with pricing, weights and dimensions.
- Create a dynamic drawing tool
- This permitted users to see a drawing of the product.
- The drawing was a perfectly scaled depiction of the product configuration they were specifying, complete with dimensions
- Product information quickly disseminated to sales reps
- Drawing tool facilitated education about product line by sales reps
- Consistent and readily-available pricing minimized calls to plants for quotes
- Savings on support costs
- Product line quickly became a success in marketplace